Why Choose Fork Union Military Academy?
Educators have long recognized that the structure of a military-style environment can provide young men an essential grounding for success in the classroom, and in life. In such an environment, young men develop self-discipline, responsibility, and pride in their work, in their appearance, and in themselves.
Even public school systems in major cities today are turning to the military school model in an attempt to overcome problems such as overcrowding, lack of classroom discipline, and little (or no) student accountability or motivation. Some of these school systems have sent staff members here to Fork Union to observe and learn firsthand what it is that has made our school so successful through the years.
Many of the features that lead to our success cannot be emulated in the public school setting, however—or, even in most private day school settings.
As a private school:
- We can structure our curriculum (such as our unique One Subject Plan for the Upper School) to meet the needs of our students.
- We can preserve our single-sex environment to remove social distractions that come with a coeducational school.
- We can acknowledge and honor the Christian values that provide the moral compass for our daily lives.
As a boarding school:
- We can facilitate profound and long-lasting change in the life of a young man.
- Structure and discipline become the norms of his life, not merely the constraints he must put up with for the relatively few hours of his school day.
- Responsibility and respect for others are lessons learned 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at FUMA—not just between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. on weekdays.
We know our system works. For proof, we need look no further than each year's graduating class and its proud parents..